Walnuts are a tree nut in the same family as the hazelnuts, macadamia, pecans and pistachios. Walnuts, though, are one of the most nutritionally dense nuts and you can easily eat enough for a significant health boost. In fact, just 7 shelled walnuts could be enough to take advantage of their beneficial properties.
- You can get 100% of the recommended daily value of plant-based omega-3s in just one-quarter cup of walnuts. Omega-3s are anti-inflammatory and may help prevent the formation of pathological blood clots. Some research studies show that people who consume a diet high in omega-3 fats are less likely to have a fatal heart attack and have a 50% lower risk of sudden cardiac death.
- Walnuts also contain an important amino acid that offers multiple vascular benefits to people with heart disease. Eating just 4 walnuts a can make a significant difference in your heart’s health.
- There is research on walnut consumption in mice that shows mice who ate the equivalent of a daily human serving of walnuts had significantly reduced tumor growth in prostate cancer and cut their risk of breast cancer in half.
- Walnuts contain a few rare and powerful antioxidants that are only found in a few other foods. Antioxidants are crucial to good health and are believed to help control how fast you age by fighting off free radicals and oxidative stress.
- Walnuts can improve male reproductive health. Men who ate a western diet and added just over a cup of walnuts a day to their diet had increased sperm count, quality, mobility and morphology.
- Vitamin E, folate, melatonin, omega-3s, and antioxidants are all vital to good brain health. All of these compounds are found together in walnuts, too.
Tips to eating more walnuts:
It is best to eat only raw and certified organic nuts. The great thing about walnuts is that it only takes a small amount to deliver a big nutritional punch, so add them to your salads or yogurts. Grab a handful as you head out the door for a quick snack, or bake them into some bread for a little healthy crunch. Walnuts are easy to find, great to eat, and transport simply too.